Reporting Bugs (Getting Help)
Dec 6, 2022 15:21 · 138 words · 1 minute read
[Credits: anthonyexplains #340]
Here are some useful notes on how to report bugs in a useful way:
- What are you trying to do? Give the maintainers some context by letting them know why.
- useful to avoid the XY problem - situations where the question is about an end user’s attempted solution (Y) rather than the root problem itself (X).
- give the other person enough context to help you.
- Tell them what you did:
- tell them the versions of the things you’re using.
- tell them what you ran.
- Tell them what you expected to see: outputs, side-effects, etc.
- Tell them what happened: outputs, crash reports etc
- (Optional) Minimize your reproduction - only mention relevant steps for reproduction:
- useful to eliminate a lot of noise.
- narrow to exactly your problem.
- (Debugging) Dive into the code yourself and report your findings.